Monday, March 21, 2011

And he writes...






Daddy Daughter Dance (Dad-daw-dance: In Journey)

Our night began with a fabulous dinner at Pei Wei. What a great idea! Have all these dads dress up and take their daughter(s) to what felt like the prom but to the annual Northland Church Daddy Daughter Dance. Journey (dressed in her beautiful white gown) and I arrived at the church to the smell of buttery popcorn, flashing lights and music pumping loud enough to hear in the streets. I walked into the foyer of the sanctuary and had a flashback to my old clubbing days then quickly realized this was a redeemed version of what fun, music and dance should be like. We go from table to table, eating fruit, cheese and cotton candy. Then the dj yells out “Time for the Cupid Shuffle!” We hit the dance floor and danced for 20 minutes (btw..that song is way too long) most of it with Journey in my arms. As we dance I look in Journey’s eyes and she is amazed!

After we danced to a little Stevie Wonder, the associate pastor came on stage and guided the fathers and daughters through vows made to each other. As I am holding Journey in my arms I began saying the vow to her, she reaches up, clasps my face in her hands and gave me the most endearing look ever. I began to weep and she just laid her head on my shoulder squeezing me with both arms while I finished vowing to protect her, guide her, pray for her, love her and love her mother. Wow! That was the highlight of my night.

At this point it is about 8:30 pm, I’m exhausted from dancing, she is tired too but she sees the face painting line and had to have her face painted. So we stand in line hot and sweaty, music pumping, dads on the dance floor next to us dancing as if there was no tomorrow. Thirty five minutes later and a beautiful flower painted on her face capped off a wonderful night of fun. I did keep her out way past her curfew and I told Journey “only daddy can keep you out that late and NO ONE ELSE.” I never knew a Daddy Daughter dance could be so amazing. I am hooked, can’t wait to go back with both my baby girls!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds so precious!!

Lindsey said...

what a sweet time! loved reading your memory of it. can't wait for steven and elle to have some like it!

Sarah/Robert said...

I cried reading about it!
How wonderful, Demetrius!

black tag diaries said...

this is soooo sweet. and i totally did tear up reading it... not gonna lie.

Angela (auntie) said...

All I can say is A MUST FOR EVERY FATHER. It is so good to see a good dads. Especially when they are my brother.

Unknown said...

i LOVE this post:)

Lady Justice said...

Mr. Summerville,
I feel privileged to have you share this special experience. I am the veteran of many similar events, having two daughters.

You are truly blessed with a wonderful family.

- Wade