Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sick Baby

Jayden and Journey came down with the RSV virus and we have had a difficult time the last few days.  Jayden starting getting cold-like symptoms almost two weeks ago and several days later Journey started to have a little cough.   Since Jayden has never really been sick or needed antibiotics I was certain it was just the common cold and they would feel better in a few days.  Not the case! On Tuesday I decided to take them to the doctor because Jayden was very congested and I wanted him to look at a rash on Journey's face and neck.  I fully anticipated him telling me I jumped the gun and they were just fine.  But he said Jayden had Brochiolitis and prescribed some medicine for him and also some ointment for Journey's neck and face.  He wanted us to watch Journey closely to make sure she didn't start having chest congestion as well.  
By Thursday night Journey was so pitiful we knew we would have to take her to the doctor to get some medicine.  After a nearly restless night I took her to the doctor only to find out that she needed to go to the hospital! Yikes...the hospital confirmed that she has RSV, which also caused Brochiolitis.  So, we have been here at Florida Hospital East for  2 1/2 days and we will be spending our third night here tonight.  She has been receiving breathing treatments, IV fluids and oxygen around the clock and has gotten SO MUCH BETTER!! We are so thankful for our friends and family for praying for our sweet girl.  She really struggled just to breathe for a couple of days and now she is sleeping peacefully.  I will say that my heart was broken for her as I watched her struggle to breath.  It was so hard to see her even get an IV and being suctioned.  She was pretty much awake and being "bothered" by the medical staff for 16 hours straight! 
Please pray for Journey that she will start eating regularly again and that she wouldn't be scared every time someone touches her.  She is really jumpy and gets really upset anytime I try to pick her up or love on her because she thinks someone is about to shove a tube down her nasal cavity or poke her with a needle.   I was able to feed her today and she has maintained her oxygen levels for the past 4 hours on room air! If she continues to maintain them tonight they will probably send us home tomorrow.  

No comments: