Friday, August 28, 2009

So Long Status Quo

I hesitate to post about this because some people just won't get it. Honestly, I wouldn't fully understand it either if my husband and children were not in my life. I have been really bothered (more like offended) by the fact that ALL the Disney Princesses are White. Ok, I know about Jasmine and Pocahontas. But, there are no Black princesses. In fact, it's not just Disney. I never see princess stuff that reflects other ethnicities.

I'm just putting this out there. What does that tell our (your) kids about who is beautiful and princess-like? It's worth thinking about and honestly it's worth considering if you should buy it. As parents, we say so much to our kids without even opening our mouths. Sometimes we don't realize it. I've heard it said, "if you're not opposing racism, you're helping the cause." Elie Wiesel said, "We must choose sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim." I promise it says a lot to a family like mine when we see little White girls playing with brown babies. It means something. It's a reflection of their parents' hearts and their awareness of a White dominated culture. That's my opinion anyway.

I could go on forever. But, instead I'll leave with a picture of the Disney movie that is supposed to come out this Christmas. It features "Tiana" a beautiful Black princess. So, 85 years and a dozen princesses later Disney is doing it. I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that Tiana's prince isn't Black as well. But, it's a start and I'm happy about it.












4 comments:

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

i had some black cabbage patch kids when i was little and i didn't care one bit...i loved them all the same! and now that i think about it, i am proud of my mom for getting them and breaking down a little of that racial barrier!

Angela S. ( Auntie) said...

Hey I agree with you on this one. It is something black girls have known and felt for years. I guess we know somethings may never change. But it's not only disney. I remember seeing those movies growing up but I never thought of them differently.I didn't see race when I looked at them, I don't know if it was just me or what but i do realize it now. It didn't harm me. You just have to teach J and J to be proud of both heritages. That they are unique and beautiful as well. Don't trust the schools to do it because they don't do a good job at it. I'm not sure how I feel about the new disney movie I don't think I like her name but I hope the movie is done right. Anyway let me stop cause I could write forever.

Lindsey said...

i agree with you too. i think most kids don't notice color at first, and it's very important that we handle it in a godly way when they do and teach them to LOVE PEOPLE like God does... black/white, rich/poor, old/young, sick/healthy... none of that matters. we are ALL created in God's image. thanks for sharing. just curious, have you read same kind of different as me? more about homelessness but a lot about race too. looking forward to the new princess movie:).

Danny and Jennifer White said...

Great post!Annie actually pointed this out to me in Target one day.I guess I havent thought a lot about dolls since I dont have a girl YET.However,I do remember my Mom being very intentional in this area.So excited that Disney has someone there thinking in this area!