Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Running for Sophie Grace

My really good friend lost her sweet baby girl this past week. I am heartbroken as I consider her sorrow and look forward to the day when she will hold her 2nd daughter in her arms again.

Journal Entry: September 7, 2009

My morning began a little sooner than I had anticipated. I woke at 4:30am thinking about the race, thinking about Leslie and finally feeling prompted to pray about those specific things. After praying I just knew I was to run for Sophie Grace. Suddenly another level of significance was added to this adventure I was about to undertake. In my mind I kept hearing, "running for Sophie Grace."

Since my training had me doing a 4 minute/1 minute run/walk interval I planned to race the same. But when I came to the realization I was to run for Sophie, thus Leslie, I knew I would do all I could to run the whole 13.1 miles without stopping. I felt like if any pain I endured during the race could ease Leslie's for those few minutes I didn't care if it hurt. The funny thing is that I never hurt, never really ran out of breath, never felt like I needed to stop and never had a single doubt I was running for Sophie, to honor her life, and it wasn't on my own. I experienced serious supernatural endurance and strength both physically and mentally. It felt amazing and purposeful and God-honoring.

When I think back to the race I can hear myself over and over again saying, "this is for you baby girl." I never got to meet Sophie but I feel connected to her in a really special way. I love her.


2 comments:

Danny and Jennifer White said...

This is so sweet amy.So glad God allowed you to do this!

Danelle said...

Amy,

I don't know you that well (yet) :) but what a wonderful thing the Lord laid on your heart to do. I know you honored Him and honored Leslie & Blane.