Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Hole in our Gospel

I stumbled across this book written by the president of World Vision, a humanitarian organization that is committed to fighting against poverty and for social justice. Can I tell you....

IT IS AMAZING? I put it down three different times because it's one of those that once you digest it's content you know you will be called to action. Yes, I put it down on three separate occasions because "once you know" you have to act (I wasn't sure I was ready to "know" but are you ever ready? I am almost half way through it (the author says, "God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called). According to the author the idea behind the book is quite simple. It's basically the belief (based on scripture friends) that being a Christian, or follower of Christ, requires much more than just having a personal and transforming relationship with God. It also entails a public and transforming relationship with the world.

Barnes and Noble has it right now on their website for $9.99 and free shipping. It has a section in the back for small group study. If you lead a small group (or church for that matter) or have a few friends that claim to care about our broken world this book would absolutely grow your heart and as a result impact the world. I am excited (and truthfully a little nervous) to see how God wants to use my life to make a difference. I literally almost wept today in the YMCA lobby reading chapters 10 & 11.

Rick Warren (quotes in this book). The first Reformation...was about creeds; this one's going to be about our deeds. The first one divided the church; this time it will unify the church.

"Faith without deeds is dead."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we'll be adding this to our christmas list! love you friend!
-leslie