Saturday, December 5, 2009

Is that not what it means to know me?

Blogging has been a great way to keep up with family and friends and post cute pictures of the kids. I have loved it...it's been like an online journal I hope to print out someday (since I skipped the baby book thing).But, somewhere along the way I just kind of decided to keep from getting to personal. You know what I'm talking about. I have wanted to post more meaningful things in the past but for whatever reason chose to keep it light. At the same time, I have a real desire to share what I'm learning. So, I hope to contribute a little more than I have in the past. Honestly, my heart has been burning to share a few things that God has revealed to me over the past several months. So, I'm going to start doing that a little more.

Check this out. All along I've thought of the Christian life in terms of prayer, bible study, fellowship and evangelism. I have taken versus about being "Christ-like" and "obeying" God personally or inwardly. For example...I thought (and have been taught) those concepts refer to my attitude, my heart, avoiding sin in my life, etc. I'm sure that is part of it. But what I'm learning lately is this....

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" declares the Lord. - Jeremiah 22:16

I have always said I cared about the poor but seriously I did not realize that this is what Jesus was all about. Do you know how many references he makes about this? Like 2000 or something. I (we) have been all about improving ourselves and even telling people about Jesus (when we "get an opportunity"). I have been spending the 10 years of my Christian life learning what knowing Jesus means, and I've missed a big part of that.

My hope is that I will not forget this. That one day this could be said about me..."She defended the cause of the poor and needy."

1 comment:

Angela said...

Maybe you don't see it, but I think you've been doing exactly this for a really long time. Remember in high school when you used to work with underprivileged kids over the summers? And if finding homes for unwanted babies and making sure the birth mothers are taken care of as well isn't "defending the cause of the needy" I don't know what is. Many people are quick to reach into their pockets to help out the poor financially, but you've done more than that for more people than you probably realize. The crazy part is that you did it without even thinking about it, because that's just the kind of person you are.