Saturday, December 5, 2009

Some good come-backs....

In light of my last post I'd love to hear some good come-backs. You know how sometimes you walk away from a stranger and say "man, I wish I would have said ________."

I met a lady at the YMCA a few days ago that has 5 kids (the youngest two are twins). She said many times people in public will ask her, "did you want all those kids." Ummm, no not really just the first three. Or many of my friends with twins hear people ask, "are they fertility?" Ummm, no they are children and that is actually a really personal question. A friend of a friend has a biracial (asian/american) child and someone at a church function asked her, "when did you get him." Ummm, about a second after I gave birth to him. Someone asked me a few weeks ago if my children had the same father. Ummm, yes but that really is none of your business.

We were having this discussion in my small group at church and a few good, straight-to-the-point come backs were shared. I love them and maybe you will too the next time someone says something dumb to you about your family :)

"Did you forget to think before you said that."
"Where those inside words that accidentally came out."

If you have any other good ones...please share!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've never been good with come backs. I'm constantly that person that says "I should have said ___." So sorry, I'm not much help. But I do appreciate you sharing about this issue. It makes me think more about the things I say, regardless of the topic.

China for Abby said...

I am just learning to have a lot of grace for people's ignorance and try to assume that they MEANT to say the right thing. We go through something similar with Abby's adoption as she is Chinese and it's obvious we are not her birth parents. Sometimes I can't believe the things people say to us right in front of Abby. So far I have nothing witty or great to say since I handle it well in the moment and then feel upset about it later. Your suggestions were wonderful, though:0)